Sunday, February 25, 2007

Gross Gems -- Funny Forgotten Films

Gross Gems LogoIf you view my Blogger profile, you'll see a couple of Favorite Movies listed of which you have never heard: Tarzini of the Garbanzo and Mission: Imbroglio. You won't find them listed on IMDB and (until my profile) a Google search would turn up nothing (Tarzini) or coincidental couplings of the two words "mission" and "imbroglio" (although there seems to be a foreign film trailer of that name).

The two films -- and several others -- were the creation of a "studio" called Gross Gems. What was Gross Gems? In the late 1960s/early 1970s, a bunch of high-school guys in the Los Gatos-Saratoga area (one-horse towns back then, but now "wealthy suburbs of Silicon Valley") somehow got hold of a 16mm camera and proceeded to create a handful of one-reelers that spoofed the culture of the times. While I remember Tarzini (a great take-off on every Tarzan film ever made) and Imbroglio (a dead-on satire of Mission: Impossible that predated anything the Abrahams/Zucker trio ever did), they also created Utter Confusion, Jet Car, Golfer, Scramble, and more. I had seen some of the films at our high school (I think) and then, most memorably (since I kept the program book) at Villa Montalvo, a ritzy arboretum in Saratoga.

I remember the night well (or do I? Time may have played with my memories). It was my first date with Terry Sicular, and my dad drove us there. I had overcome my shyness to ask her out because I suspected she would appreciate their wicked humor. I must have been a good judge of intelligence, because I Googled her name recently and discovered that Dr. Terry Sicular is a globe-trotting economist at the University of Western Ontario! She's written tonnes of articles about China.

The show consisted of the Gross Gems films interspersed with "Gross-Outs" -- short blackout skits with titles such as "Snake-Charmer Gross-Out" and "Rod McKurihanihanO'Clancy Gross-Out". I recall them being amusing-to-hilarious and alternating very well with the films.

(After the show was over, I tried calling my parents to pick us up, but the phone was busy -- this was long before call-waiting. So the curator of the arboretum drove us down the hill to the gate, racing at breakneck speed and honking loudly at every curve. Terry and I looked at each other as if we might become a headline in the Los Gatos Times-Observer about the fatal dangers of the Montalvo access road.)

But I digress.

The producer/writer/actor was Rick Harper; Doug Harrison played piano, acted, and did some soundtrack work; Sandy Stotzer wrote and acted; Don Langston wrote and acted; Peder Jorgensen provided production assistance; Roger Pease, also PA; Don Stewart and Lane Parker were PA's; Roquefort the Lizard engaged in Public Relations and The Ape (see photo above) provided backstage noise.

My favorite line from Mission: Imbroglio was from the opening scene in which the Jim Phelps-type is receiving his orders from the tape recorder, which reminds him that "...if you or any of your IM force is caught or killed, the secretary will miss you guys around the office."

I just wanted it on the record that the Gross Gems films ought to be resurrected, digitally restored, and made available to the world. They were that funny.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Gross Gems were a real hit by an unlikely crew, ranging from crazy Sandy, to sedate Don Langston. They were a highlight of my teen yesrs. I remember the 'premiers' as big deals in Santa Clara Valley.

Does anyone know where Rick, Sandy, et al, are these days?

Scott Carpenter

dangerb said...

I was definitely not part of that crew, but who can forget Sandy Stotzer?? I looked him up recently and he seems to have a successful and happy life in the LA area (http://www.markbass.com/background.html)

Krista Brooks

Jim the Pumpkin Grower said...

Gross Gems was a favorite of anyone who ever saw them. I managed to get a copy of the whole reel years ago, but sadly it has the "new" soundtrack that is sans the original copywritten music. I still drag it out once in a while and watch and laugh. One day I'll transfer it from VHS to DVD. Last I heard of Rick Harper he was still making films in LA and doing well. I'd love to sit down with him and remember the old times someday. I was a few years behind him in school and was inspired to make some movies myself, with a few friends. Rick was gracious enough to come to our show and actually give a few encouraging words. Rick, if you ever read this, the world would love to see Gross Gems again.

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see Villa Montalvo referenced. I've been there scores of times. Wonderful place.

Victor Koman, PhD said...

Thank you all for the kind comments you've made about this entry. I would hope that Rick Harper will someday make a DVD of these. More on Rick can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0363945/
Who knew he'd grow up to make movies for Disney?

Anonymous said...

I was Sandy's girlfriend in High School. I remember going with Sandy and Rick on some of the movie shoots. What a blast! They use to show the films in our school lunch room. They were so funny. Sandy was so talented in so many areas...music, acting and sports. It would be neat to sit and talk with him after so many years.

Father Luke said...

Gross Gems. Wow. I was young when I saw
them - I think I was going to Redwood Jr
High School (or Argonaut Elementary?)

You helped me fill in the gaps on the
names. I'm really glad someone else
remembered/loved Gross Gems and the Gross
Outs...

And thanks.

Anonymous said...

How can we find the films online? I remember trying to recreate the butt-driving scenes with my 8mm spring-loaded movie camera...I still have those films but would like to see the originals from the Gross Gems artists.

ronwarmbier@gmail.com said...

I saw the Flim twice( I was in film school my self) and enjoyed every minute. Anyone Know how the get a copy?

Anonymous said...

I went to Los Gatos high school class of 72. I saw gross gems and loved it. Is there any way to get a hold of a copy of the film?

Anonymous said...

I grew up Saratoga from kindergarten to High school. My favorite, from Rick was "The Amazing JET Car" starring Rick (with a big goofy mustache, HA!). I remember watching it in the Saratoga High cafeteria. GROSS Gems set it up and all proceeds from the film went to our school janitor who was having medical problems. I went to every showing. I miss those all those guys & gals.
Anthony Meyer

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim, when you transfer your VHS to DVD let us know so we can all get a copy from you.
Thanks.
Tom Miller
tomtommiller@gmail.com

Frank Dutro said...

Thanks for this post. As a young fellow (SHS Class of 1976), I attended several screenings of the Gross Gems movies. In the 1980's while working in Hollywood, I looked up Rick Harper. We had a nice chat on the phone. He had made several Circle-Rama films for Disney, but had decided against pursuing commercial film making and wanted to focus on specialty films. Good for him. Last I heard, he had moved to the Monterrey/Carmel area to focus on his other passion, drawing and painting. It would be great to get it all transferred and at least put up on YouTube. be well. Frank Dutro (fdutro@mac.com)

Unknown said...

my father was rick harper's 8th grade teacher. his name was Rusk Potter. or Mr. as rick would call him. Rick and I are the same age. i know this cause when he was a student of pop's we all went camping in northern cali. had fun on the Eel river. fun times. these films are a hoot. i only have memories of how many old ladies did they run down? wow thanks this was fun to find read and remember some youth.

Unknown said...

I was at my niece and nephew's baby shower this weekend in Seattle. My nephew showed me a bumper sticker that my mom put in a book for him years ago; it was a Gross Gems bumper sticker with the Ape. James asked me what this Gross Gems thing was all about and the memories flowed. I was a member of Gross Gems and got the "honor" of wearing the ape suit in Tarzini (of course we filmed in the summer), as well as wearing it in several "publicity" outings plugging the show. I remember hanging out at Rick's for many all nighters reviewing the day's shoots and editing. Fond memories shooting a Keystone Kop movie (I got to be one of the kops) with Tom Bellew's 1937 (?) Desoto at night on one of the main drags in Cupertino that involved a stop action collision with "the old lady" (I think played by Sandy). Before we knew it the Cupertino Police were on us responding to a reported hit and run. After some tense negotiations, Rick convinced them we were legit and the police then blocked off the street to allow us to continue filming!! All this was in the wee hours of a Friday or Saturday night. We always wanted to show the films and also do a little live comedy; doing the fund raiser for Clarence White (custodian at Saratoga High) was our break. We didn't sell any advance tickets and I remember Rick, Don and Sandy going nuts wondering if anyone would show up (I was the projector man for the shows and got to hear a lot of the audience comments). Of course the show was a SRO sell out and we added a 2nd show that also sold out. From there we did a series of fund raisers (I believe we split the proceeds 50-50 to help fund film, camera lenses, costume rental, etc.) The highlight of Gross Gems was when Rick entered several films in the Teen Age Film Festival and we won a 2nd place and Honorable Mention; the winning films were broadcast on a local SF TV station! I think that event was the springboard for Rick's career as he always talked about joining Disney.
Thanks for posting your blog and allowing us to share memories of great times in high school. Yours in eternal grossness, Todd Pfeifer, Pittsburgh, PA.

Anonymous said...

I was "boy" in Tarzini of the Garbonzo. We had a great time back then.

Jim Morocco said...

Pic